The 2017 ABC Children’s Institute Consultation Station, which is open to all institute attendees, will feature representatives from the American Booksellers Association’s affiliated business solution partners, POS vendors, and other service providers.
The Consultation Station will be open in the Salon Pre-Function Area at the Red Lion Hotel on the River – Jatnzen Beach as follows:
- Thursday, April 6, from 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. and from 2:00 p.m. to 5:30 p.m.
- Friday, April 7, from 8:45 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. and from 12:30 p.m. to 5:00 p.m.
The 14 vendors will welcome walk-ins during Consultation Station hours, but booksellers can also make appointments with specific vendors in advance; contact information is provided below and on the Consultation Station page on BookWeb.org.
Above the Treeline / Edelweiss
Above the Treeline offers Edelweiss and Treeline Analytics, web-based tools for the book industry to help connect readers with books.
- To set up an appointment, send an e-mail to Joe Foster or call (734) 996-2730.
- For more information, visit AbovetheTreeline.com.
Baker & Taylor
As a subsidiary of Follett Corporation, Baker & Taylor is part of the largest distributor of digital and physical media with sales in excess of $3 billion serving schools, libraries, colleges, and retailers of all sizes. Baker & Taylor is the lead sponsor of ABC Children’s Institute.
This year, Baker & Taylor will celebrate its lead sponsorship of the fifth ABC Children’s Institute with a special discount on all children’s and young adult trade books for two weeks following the April 5–7 event. Visit the Baker & Taylor booth at the Consultation Station to learn more about the special offer.
- To set up an appointment, send an e-mail to Margaret Lane or call (704) 998-3325.
- For more information, visit indie.baker-taylor.com.
Basil Bookseller Software is a complete, web-based inventory control system that supports new, used, and online book sales. Now with mobile capability, Basil provides even more options for businesses on the go.
- To set up an appointment, send an e-mail to Mike McKnight or call (678) 267-2974.
- For more information, visit BasilSoftware.com.
Book Industry Charitable (Binc) Foundation
The Binc Foundation is dedicated to supporting the people who work in bookstores. Binc has assisted more than 7,000 households in thousands of communities across the U.S. and has provided more than $6 million in financial assistance and scholarships since 1996.
- To set up an appointment, send an e-mail to Pam French or call (866) 733-9064.
- For more information, visit BincFoundation.org.
Booklog offers POS/inventory management software with all the latest retail technology to successfully manage retail operations.
- To set up an appointment, send an e-mail to Gwen Fishbeck or call (773) 275-4437, ext. 224.
- For more information, visit Booklog.com.
The Children’s Book Council & Every Child a Reader
The Children’s Book Council and Every Child a Reader will host the 98th annual Children’s Book Week, May 1–7, 2017, and is looking to increase indie bookstore support. Stop by to discuss Children’s Book Week plans and pick up a free copy of the official event poster.
- To set up an appointment, send an e-mail to Shaina Birkhead or call (212) 996-1990.
- For more information, visit cbcbooks.org/Everychildareader.net.
With Constant Contact, booksellers can create effective e-mail marketing and other online marketing campaigns to meet business goals. Booksellers are eligible for a free trial; visit the Consultation Station to learn more.
- To set up an appointment, send an e-mail to Corissa Saint Laurent or call (855) 815-5450.
- For more information, visit americanbooksellers.constantcontact.com.
Cultures Connecting is in its ninth year of providing culturally relevant professional development, keynote addresses, and consulting services to organizations seeking to improve their staff’s ability to promote diversity and address institutional racism.
- To set up an appointment, send an e-mail to Ilsa Govan or call (206) 568-8556.
- For more information, visit culturesconnecting.com.
Handseller offers software to help independent booksellers increase revenue through recommendations based on customer data.
- To set up an appointment, send an e-mail to Colleen Horder or call (206) 842-0944.
- For more information, visit Handseller.com.
Indies Forward is a new, volunteer-run organization dedicated to making bookselling a viable and rewarding career for emerging generations of booksellers through career development and networking opportunities.
- To set up an appointment, send an e-mail to Kim Hooyboer.
- For more information, visit indiesforward.com.
LIBRIS was formed in 1997 by ABA to provide affordable business insurance protection for its independent bookstore members. LIBRIS strives to make sure that independent book retailers have the coverage they need at the rate they deserve. This one-of-a-kind program is available through booksellers’ local broker or direct through LIBRIS.
- To set up an appointment, send an e-mail to Whitney Balaun or call (888) 694-8585.
- For more information, visit Libris.org.
Libro.fm enables independent bookstores to sell digital audiobooks through a co-branded experience.
Shelf Awareness offers booksellers a free co-branded e-newsletter that links to the store’s website and social media and links reviews back to the store’s e-commerce website. It also features store events and allows booksellers to write their own introductions and place ads.
- To set up an appointment, send an e-mail to Kristianne Huntsberger or call (206) 274-8144.
- For more information, visit Shelf-Awareness.com.
We Need Diverse Books
We Need Diverse Books™ is a grassroots organization of children’s book lovers that advocates for essential changes in the publishing industry to produce and promote literature that reflects and honors the lives of all young people.
- To set up an appointment, send an e-mail to Dhonielle Clayton or call (240) 780-6183.
- For more information, visit WeNeedDiverseBooks.org.