As the 2016 celebration of Indies First on Small Business Saturday approaches, booksellers are urged to enter their stores’ event details into the Indies First Activity Registry so their plans for November 26 appear on the national Indies First map on IndieBound.org.
Small Business Saturday is now just five weeks away, but there is still time to arrange both author and authorless events. Below is a list of helpful reminders:
- Contact a favorite local author or illustrator now to come to your store on November 26, or make arrangements with an author or illustrator who contacts you directly. Booksellers can consult the Indies First Author and Illustrator Registry for a list of authors and illustrators who would like to participate.
- Remember to add your event details to the Store Indies First Activity Registry so that it can be publicized on the Indies First map on IndieBound.org. Allow 48 hours for the Indies First map to reflect your submission.
- Check out publishers’ special offers and plan your orders. Reach out to visiting authors to find out what titles they plan to hand-sell and check publishers’ Indies First specials to see what offers may apply.
- Order extra Indies First bags. Twenty-five bags cost just $25 and can be added to a store’s next PRH book order using the Penguin Gear ISBN 9781101919576. Booksellers can also contact their PRH sales reps for details, or learn more about ordering Indies First tote bags here.
- Stop by the ABA booth at the remaining regional association trade shows to check out the Indies First totes, buttons, and posters and to grab a copy of the letter from this year’s spokesperson, Lena Dunham. A digital version of Dunham’s letter is also available to ABA members.
- Find digital Indies First logos and poster designs in BookWeb’s Designs and Downloads.
- Promote, publicize, and photograph. Use store newsletters, websites, and social media postings (#IndiesFirst) to further the Indies First message and highlight your event. Encourage visiting authors/illustrators to do the same.
- Follow Indies First on Facebook and Twitter and encourage customers to do so.
Authors and Illustrators:
- Join the Indies First Author and Illustrator Registry. Names will remain in the registry for all future Indies First activities. If you’re friends with a local indie, contact them directly and volunteer to appear at the store on Small Business Saturday. You can also search for a store near your location.
- Link to an independent bookstore for the online sale of your books. Ask your local store if it has an affiliate or linking program and how you can join, or link to IndieBound.org and tap into a national network of e-commerce sites.
- Use social media to tell your readers about Indies First, using the hashtag #IndiesFirst, and follow Indies First on Facebook and Twitter.
Questions about Indies First should be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.