The official 2019 Independent Bookstore Day catalog will go live on Tuesday, January 15, at indiebookstoreday.com and on Edelweiss. The catalog features exclusive, literary-themed merchandise and giveaways for booksellers to showcase on Independent Bookstore Day 2019 (IBD), Saturday, April 27.
Among the special items are:
- An exclusive signed edition of the new novel by Miriam Toews, Women Talking, with an IBD-only cover.
- An early edition of the paperback of Chuck Palahniuk’s Adjustment Day with an IBD-only cover.
- An exclusive Wings of Fire exclusive mini-book from Tui T. Sutherland containing two short stories never before in print.
- An exclusive autographed copy of Andrea Beaty’s Ada Twist and the Perilous Pants with a collectible embroidered iron-on patch.
Stores will have until Friday, February 1, to place their orders.
Booksellers can currently order 2019 Independent Bookstore Day shirts, which were designed by Jane Mount, author of Bibliophile: An Illustrated Miscellany (Chronicle) and founder of Ideal Bookshelf. The illustration features a collection of IBD-exclusive titles from the past five years. Shirts are available in many styles, colors, and sizes.
Wholesale tote bags featuring the illustration are also available for order. A bundle of 10 bags is $35 with free freight, and the suggested retail price is $15 each; orders are due February 1.
At this month’s Winter Institute in Albuquerque (January 22–25), booksellers can preview some items from the IBD catalog and have all their questions answered at the Independent Bookstore Day table at the Consultation Station.
Booksellers can also attend the Independent Bookstore Day panel session on Friday, January 25, from 9:30 a.m. to 10:30 a.m. in the Ruidoso room in the Albuquerque Convention Center. Attendees will learn:
- How to order and make the most of the IBD exclusive merchandise
- How to throw a party that will get people into your store
- How to publicize your store’s party
- How to take advantage of social media
Visit the Independent Bookstore Day website to learn more about the annual event; the “For the Trade” section includes a handy month-by-month planning guide, bookseller info and FAQs, and more. Watch Bookselling This Week in the coming weeks for more information about Independent Bookstore Day, or sign up for the IBD newsletter.