Booksellers can now place their orders for exclusive, literary-themed items for this year’s celebration of Independent Bookstore Day (IBD), Saturday, April 27. Booksellers can view the catalog and place orders on the Independent Bookstore Day website and on Edelweiss through Friday, February 1.
The Independent Bookstore Day catalog features:
- We Should All be Feminists utility pouch
- Charles Bukowski Uncensored exclusive vinyl album
- Women Talking by Miriam Toews (signed edition with an exclusive IBD-only cover)
- Adjustment Day by Chuck Palahniuk (signed edition with an exclusive IBD-only cover)
- “Fight evil, read books” enamel pin
- On the Come Up Journal: Find Your Voice. Make Some Noise. from Angie Thomas
- The 2019 Bad Citizen Graffiti Stencil: “Courage is as contagious as fear”
- Man-Eaters Vol. 1 by Chelsea Cain, illustrated by Kate Niemczyk and Lia Miternique (signed edition with an exclusive IBD-only cover)
- Why Don’t You Write My Eulogy Now So I Can Correct It? by Patricia Marx, illustrated by Roz Chast (signed edition with an exclusive IBD-only cover)
- What to Eat with What You Read: A Guide for Book Clubs and Other Literary Gatherings from authors including Mary Roach, Min Jin Lee, Roxane Gay, Amy Stewart, Robin Sloane, and others
- Toni Morrison, Neil Gaiman, Margaret Atwood, and James Baldwin lapel pins
- Literary Tea Towels featuring the quotes “Coffee is a lot more than just a drink; it’s something happening,” by Gertrude Stein, and “I’d rather take coffee than compliments just now,” by Louisa May Alcott, from Little Women
- The Girl Who Drank the Moon (signed with exclusive sticker pack for Bookstore Day)
- Ada Twist and the Perilous Pants by Andrea Beaty (exclusive, signed edition with free iron-on Ada patch)
- Signed print from Maggie Stiefvater based on the bestselling series The Raven Cycle
- Wings of Fire stories by Tui T. Sutherland (exclusive mini-book with two short stories never before in print and a letter from Sutherland)
- Elmo’s New Puppy, in partnership with Sesame Street Workshop’s 50th Anniversary Celebration
Free items include:
- “Overheard on the Titanic” print from Austin Kleon
- Atlas Obscura Literary Wonders mini-guide by Joshua Foer, Dylan Thuras, Ella Morton
- Poems to Keep in Your Pocket mini-book with classic poems by Kipling, Wordsworth, Pope, Shakespeare, Dickinson, and more
- Flora of Middle Earth postcard
- Sticker sheets from James Flora’s Grandpa’s Ghost Stories
Booksellers have two options for placing orders:
- Build your order using the IBD catalog on Edelweiss (search for Independent Bookstore Day under the Catalogs tab in the Dashboard) then download the order and e-mail it directly to Ingram at IBD@ingramcontent.com.
- Download the catalog and place your order using the online form on www.indiebookstoreday.com.
Booksellers can also order 2019 Independent Bookstore Day shirts, which were designed by Jane Mount, author of Bibliophile: An Illustrated Miscellany (Chronicle) and founder of Ideal Bookshelf. The illustration features a collection of IBD-exclusive titles from the past five years. Shirts are available in many styles, colors, and sizes.
Wholesale tote bags featuring the illustration are also available for order. A bundle of 10 bags is $35 with free freight, and the suggested retail price is $15 each; orders are due February 1.
At this month’s Winter Institute in Albuquerque (January 22–25), booksellers can preview some items from the IBD catalog and have all their questions answered at the Independent Bookstore Day table at the Consultation Station.
Booksellers can also attend the Independent Bookstore Day panel session on Friday, January 25, from 9:30 a.m. to 10:30 a.m. in the Ruidoso room in the Albuquerque Convention Center. Attendees will learn:
- How to order and make the most of the IBD exclusive merchandise
- How to throw a party that will get people into your store
- How to publicize your store’s party
- How to take advantage of social media
Visit the Independent Bookstore Day website to learn more about the annual event; the “For the Trade” section includes a handy month-by-month planning guide, bookseller info and FAQs, and more. Watch Bookselling This Week in the coming weeks for more information about Independent Bookstore Day, or sign up for the IBD newsletter.