Following the announcement of the 72 publisher-sponsored scholarships awarded to member booksellers to attend the American Booksellers Association’s 2019 Winter Institute, a handful of additional booksellers have been named scholarship winners:
- Deon Stonehouse of Sunriver Books & Music in Sunriver, Oregon, whose business card was pulled at random from booksellers who submitted cards at the fall regional trade shows
- Tina Ferguson of Face in a Book in El Dorado Hills, California, whose Winter Institute scholarship was awarded for participating in ABA’s ABACUS-17 survey
- Sami Thomason of Square Books Jr. in Oxford, Mississippi, has won the CHIRP scholarship, which is awarded by Candlewick Press
- Vanessa Diaz of The Book Catapult in San Diego has won the Glenn Goldman scholarship, awarded by the Southern California Independent Booksellers Association
- Kelsey Nolan of Skylight Books in Los Angeles was awarded the Carla Gray Memorial Scholarship for Emerging Bookseller-Activists, an award created by the Carla Gray Memorial Scholarship committee and the Book Industry Charitable (Binc) Foundation
As part of the Carla Gray Memorial Scholarship, Nolan will receive up to $1,000 to cover travel and hotel for attendance at Winter Institute and up to $1,000 for attendance at her region’s fall trade show in 2019. She is also using a $1,000 grant to create a four- to six-week intern position, for which Nolan and Skylight will hire and train a bookseller from a historically marginalized community.
In addition, BooksellersNZ, the booksellers association of New Zealand, is sending two booksellers to Winter Institute:
- Pene Whitty of University Book Shop at the University of Canterbury in Christchurch
- Ruth Bruhin of Poppies New Plymouth in New Plymouth
The 14th annual Winter Institute will be held January 22–25, 2019, at the Albuquerque Convention Center in Albuquerque, New Mexico. The event is sponsored by Ingram Content Group and publishers large and small. Questions about Wi14 can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.