Spread the Word About Independent Bookstore Day
Courtesy of Independent Bookstore Day (IBD), here are some tips for getting the word out this month about the April 28 celebration of independent bookstores:
- Mention IBD in your March newsletter.
- Start using images of items and other teasers on your website and on social media. Use the hashtag #bookstoreday.
- List your special IBD events in your events calendar.
- Send a press release to local calendar listings. Check out the customizable, downloadable press release from IBD.
- Arrange for media sponsorship in your area if possible, including radio, newspapers, and websites.
- Order companion titles for IBD items (some special discounts apply; see the IBD catalog).
- Add your IBD party plans to this spreadsheet to be included in PR roundups and announcements.
- Let IBD know if stores in your area are planning to do a bookstore passport program.
Order the IBD Marketing-in-a-Mailer
The Bookstore Day Marketing-in-a-Mailer includes everything booksellers need to brand and highlight the event in their store.
The mailer contains signage, stickers, teasers, shelf-talkers, and balloons to help bookstores promote the event. The kit costs $20 and orders are due March 15.
Reorder the Dave Eggers Independent Bookstore Day Exclusive
Due to a change in the special edition of Dave Eggers’ Ungrateful Mammals from Abrams (9781419733406), booksellers must place new orders for the item by March 7; all previous orders have been canceled.
Instead of drawing original covers for each book, Eggers has drawn separate, unique drawings to be slipped into each book before they are shrink-wrapped. Each special edition will contain an original and unique drawing, but customers will not be able to see them before they purchase the book.
There are 160 special editions available, and there is a limit of three per store. Order now.
Visit the Independent Bookstore Day website to learn more about the event; the “For the Trade” section includes a handy month-by-month planning guide, bookseller information and FAQs, and more. Booksellers can follow Independent Bookstore Day on Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram.