On Thursday, May 11, beginning at 2:00 p.m. ET, the American Booksellers Association will host an hour-long educational webinar on creating a press kit that will better prepare booksellers for their next conversation with publishers. The webinar, which is free and open to the first 100 ABA members to sign up by May 10, will be presented by Maribeth Pelly, the founder of the marketing strategy consulting service Maribeth Pelly Easy Marketing Strategies. Booksellers who are planning to take part in the “Publicists Speed Dating” sessions at next month’s BookExpo may find this webinar especially helpful.
Why Attend: Convincing publishers to send touring authors to your store can be challenging. Bookstores need to communicate their strongest selling points, effectively demonstrating why publishers should work with them. A well-thought-out press kit enables a bookstore to make the best possible case in conversations with publicity directors and others who can help secure more desirable author bookings, memorable events, and increased book sales. This educational webinar will present the steps needed to develop an effective press kit, a resource especially important to stores that are working to increase their number of author events.
During this webinar, participants will learn:
- Which elements are most important in a press kit.
- How to identify and leverage your store’s unique selling position.
- How to effectively present a press kit to publicity contacts.
- How to repurpose testimonials, store data, and event images.
- What not to include in a press kit.
- How to design your own press kit with easy-to-use templates and checklists.
- What to expect during your next Publicists Speed Dating session.
How to Attend: Register via the webinar form on BookWeb.org by May 10; a BookWeb username and password are required. Registrants will receive an e-mail with dial-in details before the event.
- Stores can sign up more than one staff member to attend this webinar.
- Space is limited. If you’re thinking about registering, don’t hesitate.
- The webinar will be recorded and will be available afterwards to share with your key staff members.
- During the live webinar, you will be able to ask questions specific to your store.
Questions about the webinar should be addressed to ABA Education Manager Lisa Winn.