A number of ABA bookstores members have provided the Association with credit card information to keep on file to allow for the automatic charging of various fees and expenses. Some are charged at regular intervals and some only when a particular expense is incurred. In addition, when ABA products and services are ordered, these may be charged to a credit card number provided at the time the order is placed.
Since questions sometimes arise as to why a particular charge has been made, ABA's Accounting Department has provided a brief description of possible expenses that a store may authorize ABA to deduct from its accounts and how these charges would appear on the credit card bill.
1. ABA Membership fee: Should appear as "ABA" on the credit card statement. If a store chooses the quarterly payment method, one quarter of its yearly dues, as calculated on its dues renewal form, should appear every three months. ABA will send an e-mail to notify the bookstore soon after the account is charged. If a store chooses to make one payment for the full dues, the charge will appear in the month the renewal form is received by ABA. Quarterly and annual fees will be charged to the credit card number provided on the membership renewal form.
When a member indicates on the ABA membership renewal form that it would also like to join or renew its membership in the American Booksellers Foundation for Free Expression (ABFFE), a separate charge for the amount it is contributing to ABFFE will appear as "ABA" on the credit card statement.
2. BookSense.com monthly charge: Should appear as "ABA" on the monthly statement of the credit card on file with BookSense.com. The fee is $175 a month, and is usually charged between the 5th and the 15th of the month. No confirmation is sent since this is a recurring monthly charge.
3. Book Sense Gift Certificates redeemed: Should appear as "Book Sense" on the credit card statement. A store will be charged for the full amount of a gift certificate that it has sold if it is redeemed at another store. This will be charged to the card number on file for the Gift Certificate program, and will appear at the time the gift certificate is redeemed. When the credit card account is charged, ABA will send the bookstore a detailed statement showing each gift certificate redeemed, by number.
4. Purchase of Gift Certificate forms or supplies: Should appear as "Book Sense" on credit card statements processed since last week. Prior to that, charges would have appeared as "Booksellers Order Service" (BOS) or "ABA." The credit card number supplied by the bookstore, by phone or in writing, at the time the order is placed will be charged for the cost of products ordered. A copy of the invoice will accompany the shipment of the gift certificates and/or supplies.
5. Purchase of other products: Should appear as "ABA" on credit card statements processed since last week. Prior to that, charges would have appeared as either "Booksellers Order Service" (BOS) or "ABA." The credit card number provided at the time the order was placed will be charged for the cost of the products ordered. A copy of the invoice will accompany the shipment of the products.
6. Advertising: Fees for advertising in Bookselling This Week online, including classifieds, and in Book Sense trade and consumer e-mail vehicles will appear as "ABA" on credit card statements for the card number provided at the time the order was placed. The charge will be for the cost of the ad, and a copy of the invoice will be sent.
7. LMI, Advance Access, etc.: Fees for other services such as Local Marketing Intelligence (LMI) and Advance Access will appear on credit card statements as "ABA." The charge will be for the amount of the service ordered, which will vary. These services will be charged to the card number provided when the service is requested. LMI will be billed in three monthly installments. Advance Access will be billed as the requests are received.
Members wishing to pay for products and services by credit card must provide a credit card number at the time the order is placed, either by phone or in writing. ABA staff members are unable to access credit card numbers on file for ABA dues payment, BookSense.com, etc. for security reasons.
Members with questions about charges to their credit card bills should contact ABA's controller, Ed Rush, at email@example.com or (914) 591-2665, ext. 1244.